Standards facilitate the development, sharing, and use of geospatial data. The FGDC develops geospatial data standards for implementing the NSDI, in consultation and cooperation with State, local, and tribal governments, the private sector and academic community, and, to the extent feasible, the international community. The FGDC develops geospatial data standards only when no equivalent voluntary consensus standards exist, in accordance with OMB Circular A-119.
- Projects - projects in the FGDC standards program of work
- Process - FGDC Standards Reference Model and FGDC standards directives
- Publications - information on obtaining standards publications
- Organizations - FGDC Standards Working Group, other Federal standards activities, and external standards organizations
- Benefits of standards
- March 2016 standards update: updates provide status of FGDC, INCITS L1/ISO TC 211, GWG, OGC, and other standardization activities. There are over 300 standards tracked in the standards update log. The log has been maintained continuously since February 2011. For previous logs, visit Standards updates
- NSDI standards policies