Standards facilitate development, sharing, and use of geospatial data and services. The FGDC develops or adopts geospatial standards for implementing the NSDI, in consultation and cooperation with State, local, and tribal governments, the private sector and academic community, and, to the extent feasible, the international community.
Federal agencies that collect, use, or disseminate geographic information and/or carry out related spatial data activities shall use FGDC-endorsed standards both internally and through their activities involving partners, grants, and contracts.
Non-Federal agencies are encouraged to use FGDC-endorsed standards to facilitate data sharing.
There are numerous benefits of standards.
Find answers about FGDC Standards.
FGDC collaborating partner the Open Geospatial Consortium is requesting comment on the OGC Abstract Specification Topic for Discrete Global Grid Systems (DGGS). The comment period closes on April 7, 2017. See http://www.opengeospatial.org/pressroom/pressreleases/2553 for more information, including how to submit comments.
The FGDC Standards WG works with other Federal standardization activities and external standards organizations to ensure the best possible technical foundation for data and web services, consistent with standards policies.
- The FGDC OS has published a web page on standards education and training. It covers both FGDC and external standards education & education activities.
- Geospatial Interoperability Reference Architecture (GIRA) Web PDF The GIRA discusses "[several] attempts to identify ‘base-line’ or ‘essential’ geospatial standards that could be included in scopes of work or procurement compliance language have been made."
- Schemas - for the Geographic Information Framework Data Standard (XML), Address Data Standard (XML), and the FGDC Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata (DTD).
- FGDC Standards Development Process
- Standards update - The FGDC posts standards updates that provide status of geospatial standardization activities. There are over 300 standards tracked in the standards update log. The log has been maintained since February 2011. This page provides statistics on outreach, use of the standards update, and a link to past updates.
- Most recent update: November 2016
- Standards education and training