Visioning Validation & Interpretation Workshop
Description: The purpose of this workshop is to validate and interpret the vision of the NSDI by building a vivid description of the future state and identifying the critical success factors that will get us there. The workshop is designed for FGDC Coordination Group members and other interested volunteers who wish to participate. The workshop will be held during the January 6, 2004 Coordination Group Meeting.
In preparation for the FGDC Visioning Interpretation & Validation Workshop, participants are asked to do the following:
1 - Re-familiarize yourself with the 1997 NSDI Strategic Plan. As a reminder, the vision statement and goals are listed below.
Vision - Current and accurate geospatial data will be available to contribute locally, nationally and globally to economic growth, environmental quality and stability, and social progress.
- Goal 1 - Increase the awareness and understanding of the vision, concepts, and benefits of the NSDI through outreach and education.
- Goal 2 - Develop common solutions for discovery, access, and use of geospatial data in response to the needs of diverse communities.
- Goal 3 - Use community-based approaches to develop and maintain common collections of geospatial data for sound decision-making.
- Goal 4 - Build relationships among organizations to support the continuing development of the NSDI.
2 - Re-familiarize yourself with the May 2000 Design Team Study. As a reminder the recommended actions are listed below.
- Raise geospatial data awareness to the policy level.
- Get serious about coordination among federal agencies.
- Focus federal agency efforts toward building and distributing integrated national geospatial data assets.
- Restructure the FGDC.
- Establish management oversight and accountability.
3 - Please be prepared to respond to and discuss the following questions. To gain additional perspectives, you are encouraged to discuss these questions with your agency colleagues prior to the workshop.
- What does the vision mean to you and/or your agency?
- What is the role of the FGDC in implementing the NSDI and achieving the vision?
- Where do we go from here? What are the 2 - 3 most critical actions that need to be taken in order to achieve the goals?