Directive #1, FGDC Standards Approval Process
- Step 1.
- Develop Proposal - A new National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) standards project proposal is submitted.
- Step 2.
- Review Proposal - The Standards Working Group reviews and evaluates the standard proposal. The proposal goes out for public comment.
- Step 3.
- Set Up Project - The FGDC Subcommittee or Working Group establishes the project and activates standards development.
- Step 4.
- Produce Working Draft - The Standards Development Group proceeds with standard development.
- Step 5.
- Review Working Draft - The Standards Development Group submits a working draft for pre-public review and then prepares a committee draft for public review.
- Step 6.
- Review and Evaluate Committee Draft - The standards Working Group evaluates the Committee Draft of the standard and makes a recommendation for public review to the Coordination Group.
- Step 7.
- Approve Standard for Public Review - The Coordination Group reviews the recommendation of the SWG and approves standard for public review.
- Step 8.
- Coordinate Public Review - The FGDC Secretariat announces and coordinates a public review of the proposed standard. Testing and validation of the standard take place at this time.
- Step 9.
- Respond to Public Comments - The Standards Development Group reviews all comments and produces a revised standard and a comment response document. Results from testing and validation of the standard are documented.
- Step 10.
- Evaluate Responsiveness to Public Comments - The proposed standard and a public response document are reviewed by the Standards Working Group.
- Step 11.
- Approve Standard for Endorsement - The Coordination Group reviews the recommendation of the SWG and approves the proposed standard for FGDC endorsement.
- Step 12.
- Endorsement - The FGDC Steering Committee reviews the recommendation of the FGDC Coordination Group and endorses the standard.
Jan 25, 2006 10:40 AM