The U.S. Office of Management and Budget and the U.S. Congress set policy for Federal agencies. The Federal Geographic Data Committee, a Federal interagency coordinating committee, is guided by those policies in the design of programs, activities and technologies. The FGDC sets geospatial information policy in harmony with overall information policy.
The FGDC engages in on-going strategic planning to ensure continued investment of resources in high value programs, activities and technologies for the advancement of the NSDI.
A policy is an official plan or course of action intended to influence and determine decisions, actions and other matters. Guidelines denote one or more rules that describe a process.
- OMB Circular A-16 and Supplemental Guidance
- OMB Circulars that guide the FGDC policies
- Executive Order establishing the NSDI
- FGDC Policies
- FGDC Guidelines
OMB Circular A-16 assigned to the FGDC the responsibility to prepare and maintain a strategic plan for the development and implementation of the NSDI. The FGDC has completed four strategic plans, with the most recent one in 2013.
NSDI Strategic Plan
Previous NSDI Strategic Plans
- NSDI Future Directions Initiative (2004)
- A Strategy for the NSDI (1997)
- Plan for the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (1994)
Recent FGDC Strategic Planning Activities
- National Geospatial Data Asset (NGDA) Management Plan (2014)
- Geospatial Platform Business Plan (2012)
- Geospatial Platform Modernization Roadmap (2011)
- OMB Circular A-16 Supplemental Guidance (2010)
- Geospatial Line of Business Common Solutions/Target Architecture (2006)
- Federal Enterprise Architecture Geospatial Profile (2006)