Geospatial Data Model Version 2.0
When developing and updating the Geospatial Data Model Version 2.0,
the Geospatial Management Office’s team followed a few principal
- Rationalize a very large number of overlapping features and attributes in order to drive out duplication of data classes, features, and attributes. The team then reviewed for semantic and syntactic agreement, to ensure interconnected component parts were in harmony.
- Rearrange and flatten the overall structure of the model somewhat to assist in translating from Logical to Physical models. This is primarily to assist in the development of ESRI implementations.
- Construct a new set of easy-to-read documents to help geospatial programs understand and extract information from the model, including a data dictionary, HTML/browser accessible views, as well as a number of professional-level artifacts for use in modeling tools.
The GMO team integrated all of the feature classes, definitions, and
component parts of Homeland Security Infrastructure Protection (HSIP)
Gold Version 2.0 into the model, in order to ensure complete alignment
with the dataset. While there are many parts of GDM Version 2.0 that
are not contained within HSIP, all of HSIP Version 2.0 is represented
in the GDM. Version 2.0 of the GDM is still available for download in
the following formats (please refer to GDM Version 2.5 for the latest
- DHS GDM v2.0 - Sparx Enterprise Architect Data Model (7.9MB) (zipped .EAP file for use with Sparx EA only)
- DHS GDM v2.0 - XML Metadata Interchange (XMI) 1.1 for UML 1.3 Export (5.8MB) (zipped .XMI/XML file for import into UML modeling software)
- DHS GDM v2.0 - XML Metadata Interchange (XMI) 2.1 for UML 2.1 Export (7.6MB) (zipped .XMI/XML file for import into UML modeling software)
- DHS GDM v2.0 - Interactive HTML Data Model Documentation (please use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x or Mozilla Firefox web browsers only)
- DHS GDM v2.0 - Downloadable Interactive HTML Data Model Documentation (20.1MB) (zipped HTML files; access the root file “index.html”)
- DHS GDM v2.0 - Data Dictionary (HTML Version) (1.2MB) (zipped documentation of data elements and value domains)
- DHS GDM v2.0 - Data Dictionary (PDF Version) (5.8MB)
- DHS GDM v2.0 - Oracle Spatial 10g Profile Implementation Guide (MS Word Version) (227 KB) (zipped documentation for Oracle Spatial 10g SQL installation)
- DHS GDM v2.0 - Oracle Spatial 10g Profile
Implementation SQL (335KB zipped, 3.29MB unzipped) (zipped
directory tree containing SQL scripts for Oracle Spatial 10g Profile
As in previous versions, the FGDC Homeland Security Working Group and the GMO are extremely interested in soliciting user feedback about the models and ways to make it more accessible by all users.
Please download the DHS Geospatial Data
Model Comment Resolution Matrix VERSION 2.0/2.5 [Excel] and add
your comments. Forward your completed matrices as an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comments will be adjudicated through the FGDC Homeland Security
Working Group-Content Subgroup, and the results reposted to this