Award Number G09AC00068, Category 3: Fifty States Initiative
Update the Washington GIS Strategic Plan to Support the 50 States Initiatives and Build a Business Plan for Tracking Progress and Results in Washington
One of the key successes of this project includes the creation of a clear strategic vision, mission and goals that will help guide GIS activities over the next 5 years. It also includes an updated business plan that provides clear guidance on furthering GIS in Washington State.
VISION: Utilize geospatial technology to facilitate decision‐making to benefit Washington State citizens.
MISSION: Work in partnership with public and private sector statewide to provide accurate, consistent, accessible, and comprehensive GIS resources for decision makers and the public.
- Goal 1: Establish Access Mechanism for Washington Geospatial Data
- Goal 2: Staff GIS Program Office and Recruit a State Geospatial Information Officer
- Goal 3: Strengthen Coordination across Jurisdictions and Agencies
- Goal 4: Develop Statewide Standards and Guidelines for Data and Services
- Goal 5: Increase Awareness and Support for GIS through Education and Outreach
The resulting Business Plan addresses Goals 1 and 2. Together, these goals best describe an enterprise GIS Program that will help agencies realize Washington’s Governor’s objectives for creating shared services in state agencies and GIS consolidation across the agencies. The GIS Business Plan lays the groundwork for the development of a federated organizational model to more effectively deploy GIS resources in the State of Washington.
Joy Paulus, Washington State Department of Information
Ian Von Essen, WAGIC Chair
Kerry Brooks, WAGIC Chair-elect
Tom Carlson, USGS Geospatial Liaison for Washington