United States National Grid
- Florida. Emergency response statewide in Florida is governed by the Florida Fire Chiefs Association (FFCA). The latest edition of FFCA´s Statewide Emergency Response Plan (SERP) establishes US National Grid (USNG) as the common coordinate system. USNG references are now in the latest version of Florida´s Statewide Emergency Response Plan (SERP) on pages 10, 17 and 102.
- Of note from FEMA in a May 28, 2009 memorandum; Near
Term Priorities for Disaster Operations Directorate (PDF
3.3Mb). This memo includes; Establish a standard for FEMA
operational maps using the US National Grid System - this will help
improve the effectiveness and standardize and streamline
- US National Grid Executive Summary
and Information Paper (0.8Mb)
Note: When printing, set "Page Scaling" to "Fit to printer margins"
- Download a copy of the US National Grid standard (FGDC-STD-011-2001) (1Mb)
Incident Search and Rescue Addendum to the National Search and Rescue
Manual, Version 1.1 of Aug 2008, see Geo-referencing, pp 64 – 71.
- Learn how to read a USNG coordinate or geoaddress. You can also download a USNG grid reader (155Kb), training map (1.8Mb), and instruction handouts for maps and grid reader instruction sheet for your own practice or teaching a group. Ensure as you prepare to print, under "Page Handling", "Page Scaling" is set to "None."
- Delta State University's Center for
Interdisciplinary Geospatial Information Technology USNG
- A Local Map National Depository (LMND) is being organized for locally produced street atlases designed around the USNG and 8.5x11 inch paper. These are available through the USGS Emergency Operations portal. Anyone can download these and print them on widely available printers. The entire atlas can be printed or just the front index page and selected map pages.
- See an excellent
overview on the USNG from Minnesota. (PPT)
- USGS topographic map and downloader portal
- See the emerging ESRI
Flex Viewer and its growing USNG capabilities. (Hint: You can turn
on the USNG capabilities from within the cube icon.)
- US National Grid reference map over the US. (1.93Mb)
- Report on Implementing the USNG
Standard in North Carolina (PDF 1.4Mb)
- Implementation Guide to the US National Grid by NAPSG
- Articles and Reports with information on the US National Grid
- General Information and
- USNG Implementations and Pilot Projects
For more information or questions regarding USNG, you can contact us.