Train the Metadata Trainer
Remember that metadata workshop you took from NBII sometime in the last year or so? What an awesome topic, right? Well, here's your opportunity to continue having fun with metadata -- attend the NBII Metadata Train the Trainer Workshop!! Learn how to effectively teach your peers and colleagues who may not have been able to attend a workshop about how fun it is to create metadata and/or be able to effectively explain to your management team why metadata is such an important element in preserving all that great research data!
Jun 20, 2006 09:00 AM
Jun 22, 2006 04:30 PM
|Where||Denver Federal Center, Building 810|
|Contact Name||Vivian Hutchison|
|Contact Phone||206.526.6282 ext 329|
|Add event to calendar||
Register by May 19, 2006
This three-day intensive interactive course covers basic training concepts and skills as a foundation to address challenging metadata subjects. Metadata is not a charismatic subject. The course enables the trainer to address metadata in a lively, invigorating, and memorable workshop. The course enables the agency to define metadata training goals, content, and approaches to implement metadata training programs specific to their data community. This course presents: what is training, how to quickly engage the audience in metadata, what are the NBII-FGDC’s metadata learning goals and objectives, and why goals and objectives are critical to agency wide training implementation.
Learning styles, training and visual aids along with presentation styles are presented as means to connect with broad workshop audiences. The workshop includes applying audience analysis to develop the workshop content, duration, approach, determine facility requirements, and to assure a successful and meaningful workshop.
The FGDC metadata curriculum is introduced to the workshop participants as subject areas for presentation / exercise development areas. Participants apply their newly acquired trainer skills to develop a 20-minute metadata presentation, which includes an interactive exercise, on a metadata concept, goal, or objective. The instructors and participants critique the presentation, the presenter, and the learning exercise.
With the information and exercises provided and skills developed from this workshop the participants will be able to:
- Implement metadata training programs to address data issues specific to their agencies and data partners.
- Build a metadata training network to support metadata implementation.
- Develop and present an interactive, energized, and memorable metadata workshop.
- Construct a workshop around the participant’s expectations and learning styles to make the metadata content stick.
- Develop lesson plans and training modules and exercises for reuse by other trainers and contributing to NBII and FGDC’s metadata training resources. • Discover training tips and methods from experienced metadata creators and trainers to increase metadata creator ability. Workshop Location: The workshop will take place at the Denver Federal Center, Bldg 810 USGS Center for Biological Informatics (CBI) Location Info: http://biology.usgs.gov/cbi/about/travel/index.html
Please keep in mind when making your plane reservations that this workshop will go until 4:30pm on the last day. Please plan accordingly as a courtesy to your fellow participants. Thanks!
Nearby hotels can be found on the following webpage: http://biology.usgs.gov/cbi/about/travel/hotel.html You will need to make your own hotel reservations.
Other important information:
You will need to bring a laptop computer. If you do not have a laptop, or cannot be furnished one by your office, please let Viv Hutchison know, and she will try to locate one that you can borrow for the workshop. Instructions: Please complete this form, then E-mail or fax to Viv Hutchison: Email: email@example.com Fax: (206) 526.6654
- Name Tag and Roster Information (exactly as you wish it to appear on training materials):
- Contact Information:
Mailing Address: City, State/Province/Country,
- Funding Assistance This training is made possible by NBII/USGS through the FGDC Cooperative Agreements Program (CAP) Grant Program. It is offered at no cost to participants. Additionally, there is *limited* funding available for those in need of travel assistance. If you are interested in such assistance, please contact Viv Hutchison (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 206.526.6282 ext 329 for more information.
- Questions and Comments Please provide any questions and comments you may have – we will respond to you as quickly as possible. For more specific questions regarding the training, please do not hesitate to contact Terry Giles (email@example.com), Lynn Kutner (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Viv Hutchison (206.526.6282 ext 329; email@example.com). Please watch for more information regarding the Train the Trainer Workshop. Lynn Kutner and Terry Giles will be following up with all interested participants directly before the training session.