Metadata Trainers: Bruce Westcott
Duration: varies from 1-3 days
An introductory course that outlines the value, purpose, and content of metadata.
Bringing FGDC Spatial Metadata into ISO Compliance
FGDC metadata authors are faced with understanding the costs, benefits, and practical problems in converting their metadata records for ISO compatibility. In order to meet the requirements and fully take advantage of opportunities offered by the ISO standard, they will have to develop a metadata migration strategy.
Spatial Metadata for Management
This session is intended for information managers and others responsible for stewardship of enterprise data assets. It will focus on development of the business case for investing in a metadata-based searchable repository, in order to make data access and re-use as easy as possible.
Workshop fee (includes instructor's time and materials), facility fee, and travel costs
Tools: SMMS, ArcView extension, Corpsmet, basic text editing
Disciplines: SocioEconomic, State/local government
Clients & Projects
- Facilitation of a Strategic Business Planning Process for the Washington Geographic Information Council
- Development & presentation of metadata training materials for the New York State GIS Clearinghouse
- Development of a draft NSDI Framework Transportation Identification Standard for the Ground Transportation Subcommittee of the Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC)
- Facilitation & summary reporting of a three-day Road Data Model Workshop for the FGDC
- Review of technical GIS proposals for the Vermont Enhanced 911 program.
Papers and Presentations
- Towson University GIS Conference -- Developing and Managing Metadata (June 2003)
- Metadiversity III Conference -- Spatial Metadata for Management (April 2003)
- GeoTec 2003 -- Metadata Implementation (March 2003)
- GeoSpatial World -- Opening the World's Data with ISO/OGC Metadata Standards (June 2002)