Personal tools
Document Actions

December 7, 2004 FGDC Coordination Meeting Summary


Action 1: Alison needs you to volunteer to host a Coordination Group meeting in the coming year. The meetings are held on the first Tuesday of the month and the room should hold 35 people. Please contact Alison (adishman@fgdc.gov) with the month you can host.

Action 2: Please contact Tom Bobbe (tbobbe@fs.fed.us) to share the challenges you have encountered standing up data in your Clearinghouse.

Action 3: Please contact Brett Abrams (brett.abrams@nara.gov) if you would like to participate in the Historical Data Working Group. He needs folks with GIS and computer skills.

Action 4: Please send any comments on the attached draft Metadata Survey to Lwayne@fgdc.gov by January 3, 2005.

Action 5: Please have your metadata trainers contact Sharon Shin (sshin@fgdc.gov).

Action 6: Both the State Councils and the Communications Action Plans will be up for approval at the January 11 Coordination Group meeting.

Action 7: The Future Directions Action Team Quarterly Reports are due to Milo on January 14. They will be compiled into a summary report that will be delivered to the FGDC Steering Committee by January 31.

Action 8: Send Alison (adishman@fgdc.gov) an email request if you would like copies of the new Circular A-16 pamphlet that has been printed by FGDC.

Host: Betsy Kanalley, USFS

Attendees:

Ivan DeLoatch, FGDC
Alison Dishman, FGDC
Leslie Armstrong, FGDC
Jason G. Racette, BLM
Bob Johnson, Premier Data Services
Doug Vandegraft, FWS
Anne O'Connor, Census
Milo Robinson, FGDC
Bill Burgess, NSGIC
Ralph H. Crawford, USFS
Mario Lopez-Gomez, DOJ/Civil Rights
Monica DeAngelo, FERC
Sharon Shin, FGDC
Brett Abrams, NARA
Bob Harding, GSA
Lesley Ogrosky, FGDC
Lynda Wayne, FGDC
Tricia Gibbons, LEAD Alliance
Carol Brandt, USDOT
Doug Nebert, FGDC
David Painter, FGDC
Patricia Weir, NASA
Julie Maitra, FGDC
David Morehouse, DOE
Donald Draper Campbell, FCC
Brian Cullis, DOD
Tom Bobbe, USFS
Myra Bambacus, NASA
Barry Napier, USFS

On the phone:
Wendy Francis, URISA
Al Voss, TVA
Dave Stein, NOAA

Introductions & Updates - Ivan DeLoatch, FGDC Staff Director
Ivan introduced Leslie Armstrong, the new FGDC Deputy Staff Director, to the group.

The Annual Report is due to Alison Dishman (adishman@fgdc.gov) on December 17, 2004.

The new National Geospatial Program Office in USGS has a team focused on Enterprise Architecture. The Federal CIO Council may call a meeting for Federal Agencies embarking on Federal Enterprise Architecture activities. Ivan will notify the Coordination Group of any happenings on this front.

Framework Data Standards - The 5,000 comments received on the Framework Data Standards are being reviewed and adjudicated. The standards will be handed off to ANSI on January 1, 2005. Julie Binder Maitra is working hard on this effort.

Action 1: Alison needs you to volunteer to host a Coordination Group meeting in the coming year. The meetings are held on the first Tuesday of the month and the room should hold 35 people. Please contact Alison (adishman@fgdc.gov) with the month you can host.

USFS Geodata Clearinghouse - Tom Bobbe, USFS

The FSGeodata Clearinghouse (http://fsgeodata.fs.fed.us/) provides access to USFS spatial data holdings in compliance with Executive Order 12906 for online geospatial data and metadata distribution. The FSGeodata Clearinghouse uses feature level metadata dictionary definitions and has vector, raster, and metadata gateways. This web portal links to the NSDI and GOS and provides USFS data to The National Map.

The FSGeodata Clearinghouse provides access to Single Edition Quads, active fire mapping, aerial survey data, and more. It features a metadata user's guide for field users. USFS plans to add more servers to meet expanding agency needs. Two applications this clearinghouse will likely feature in the next few years are road condition information for National Forest visitors and land management/planning information for the public.

There were legal and security issues in standing up this Clearinghouse - the data is located in a "DMZ" at the Fort Collins NRCS web farm. Their legal disclaimers were borrowed in part from those on the NPS websites. Geospatial support comes from the USFS offices in Salt Lake City, UT.

For more information please contact Tom Bobbe (tbobbe@fs.fed.us) or Dave George (dgeorge01@fs.fed.us)

Action 2: Please contact Tom Bobbe (tbobbe@fs.fed.us) to share the challenges you have encountered standing up data in your Clearinghouse.

Historical Data Working Group - Brett Abrams, NARA

Brett would like to re-energize the Historical Data Working Group to focus on Hierarchical Data Format (hdf) as an archival format. There is a large learning curve getting geospatial data out of the ESRI format into one of the two standards to archive the data.

Action 3: Please contact Brett Abrams (brett.abrams@nara.gov) if you would like to participate in the Historical Data Working Group. He needs folks with GIS and computer skills.

FGDC Future Directions - Milo Robinson

Milo updated the group on the progress of the 11 Future Directions Action Teams. The monthly reports and action plans are posted at http://www.fgdc.gov/FutureDirections/
Milo's PowerPoint presentation with the matrix of the teams and their progress will be posted with these minutes at http://www.fgdc.gov/fgdc/coorwg/2004/ . All of the Action Teams are on a different timeframe - some will have their action plans completed by January, others won't be done until June.

Lynda Wayne shared with the group a draft Metdata Survey for the A-16 Designated Federal Agencies. The information collected in the survey will be used by the FGDC to identify existing and needed metadata resources and may become part of the annual reporting requirement in 2005. The final survey will be compiled for presentation at the March 2005 Coordination Group meeting.

Action 4: Please send any comments on the attached draft Metadata Survey to Lwayne@fgdc.govby January 3, 2005.

Action 5: Please have your metadata trainers contact Sharon Shin (sshin@fgdc.gov).

The Coordination Group discussed the best method to approve the Future Directions Action Plans. Suggested approval process:

  1. Action Team briefs FGDC Staff Director
  2. Coordination Group has a 2 week review period
  3. Approval by Coordination Group after a short overview and discussion at the Coordination Group meeting
  4. Action Plans forwarded to Steering Committee for approval

A fundamental issue will be allocation of resources - both dollars and staff - to carry out these action plans.

Action 6: Both the State Councils and the Communications Action Plans will be up for approval at the January 11 Coordination Group meeting.

Action 7: The Future Directions Action Team Quarterly Reports are due to Milo on January 14. They will be compiled into a summary report that will be delivered to the FGDC Steering Committee by January 31.

Homeland Security San Juan Basin Project - Jason Racette, BLM and Bob Johnson, Premier Data Solutions

The San Juan Basin Project created a cadastral based GIS to locate and inventory critical infrastructure as defined by the Department of Homeland Security. The San Juan Basin Oil and Gas Basin is located in Utah, Colorado and New Mexico and is the nation's second largest producer of natural gas. This project documented the hazards in the area using the BLM Geographic Coordinate Database (GCDB) as the base. They collaborated with Feds, States, Tribes, and counties to compile land records, well records, pipelines, powerlines, communications, water and irrigation, transportation, oil and gas sites. The information collected has a high degree of generalization -- they would need to work with the utility industry to achieve a higher level of detail. Although the public is interested in this information and it would be useful in responding to industrial accidents, it has not yet been released due to its sensitive nature. Data integration and inventory are currently underway.

For more information please contact Jason Racette (Jason_Racette@blm.gov) or Bob Johnson (bob@premierdata.com).

Comments:

The Coordination Group encouraged the San Juan Basin Project to document the cost benefits as well as the minimum set of requirements for the publication of data.

Since the name and function of public buildings change so frequently, it would be helpful if we could develop a mechanism for the States and locals to easily submit updates for the names of man made features to the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).

[PDF 1.3MB]

FGDC Headlines - Lesley Ogrosky

From now on Alison will send you the highlights of the Coordination Group meeting within 24 hours of the meeting, so you will have something to take back to your managers right away.

Some suggested highlights from today's meeting:

  • New Circular A-16 booklet was published by FGDC and is available to Coordination Group members
  • Participation is requested in the Historical Data Working Group
  • The Governance Future Directions Action Team requests your input on their workshops
  • Future Directions Action Plans will be presented to the Coordination Group as they are completed
  • Feedback is needed on Lynda Wayne's metadata survey

Action 8: Send Alison (adishman@fgdc.gov) an email request if you would like copies of the new Circular A-16 pamphlet that has been printed by FGDC.

Next Coordination Group meeting:

The next Coordination Group meeting will be held on the second Tuesday of the month (January 11, 2005) due to the end of the use it or lose it leave period.

January 11, 2005
FCC will host.

Last Updated: Jan 10, 2006 11:36 AM
Spinner Image