Personal tools
You are here: Home Participation FGDC Coordination Group Meeting Minutes 2002 Meeting Minutes September
Document Actions

September 5, 2002 FGDC Coordination Meeting Summary


Action items.

Action: Tony Frater will attend the Oct. 1 Coordination Group meeting to describe changes to the A-16 made by OMB and the thought behind them. He will also discuss the joint A-300.

Action: Please send Jon Sperling (jon_sperling@hud.gov) an inventory of your agency's geocoding activities and methods.

Action: Please review Jon Sperling's Geocoding Proposal and send your comments to Alison (akiernan@fgdc.gov). The comments will be discussed at the October 1 Coordination Group meeting.

Action: Please contact Brand Niemann (202-566-1657, niemann.brand@epa.gov) if you would like to work on an interagency group focusing on emerging technologies and E-Gov initiatives.

Action: If you would like to test the Geospatial Information DataBase application, please contact Major Michael Thomas at (404-894-0621; thomasm@cdmail.ngb.army.mil ).

Action: Melinda Higgins, Major Thomas, and Kevin Shaw will assess how much of the data included in the GIDB are documented, FGDC and OGC compliant, and are available at the FGDC Clearinghouse.

Action: The FGDC Coordination Group recommends that the Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata: Extensions for approval.

Action: Please return your completed Department, Agency, Subcommittee or Working Group FY 02 Annual Spatial Data Reports to Alison (akiernan@fgdc.gov) by Oct. 18.

Action: Please RSVP to Alison (akiernan@fgdc.gov) by October 3 if you will be attending the FGDC Steering Committee meeting.

Host: Rick Yorczyk, NOAA

Charlie Challstrom, NOAA
Alison Kiernan, FGDC
John Clark, GSA
Hedy Rossmeissl, USGS
David Stein, NOAA
Bruce McKenzie, FGDC
Leslie Weiner-Leandro, FEMA
Milo Robinson, FGDC
Carol Brandt, USDOT/BTS
Kevin Shaw, Naval Research Lab
Michael L. Thomas, National Guard
Melinda K. Higgins, GA Tech
Howard Diamond, NOAA
Fred Broome, Census
Jon Sperling, HUD
Chuck Croner, DHHS/CDC
Nancy Blyler, USACE
Anne Ruth, Census
April Avnayim, Census
Myra Bambacus, NASA
John Moeller, TASC
Jeffrey Sands, NIMA
Paul Geissler, USGS
Leslie Wollack, FGDC
Ivan DeLoatch, EPA
Shirley Hall, USDA
Michelle Torreano, EPA
Greg Gwaltney, EPA
Barry Schlesinger, NASA/GMU
Betsy Banas, USFS
Bruce Ambacher, NARA
Brand Niemann, EPA


Revised Circular A-16 - Milo Robinson, FGDC

OMB released the revised OMB Circular A-16 on August 19. The revised Circular should be sent to agencies as an official transmittal shortly.

Changes made to the document by OMB since the review by the member Agencies include a Q&A format for a more readable document, minor wording changes, listing GSA as a member, and linking the document to the budget process.

Action: Tony Frater will attend the Oct. 1 Coordination Group meeting to describe changes to the A-16 made by OMB and the thought behind them. He will also discuss the joint A-300.

Geocoding Proposal - Jon Sperling, HUD

There is currently a lack of geocoding expertise in Federal Agencies. It is important to develop a consistent process of geocoding to improve the quality of the data as well as to facilitate data sharing and data integration between agencies. Among the departments and agencies with data that could be geocoded are: BLS, DOE, HUD, DOJ, and HHS. Geocoding could reduce costs government-wide and enhance data quality. Currently, there is an inconsistent use of base maps and geocoding services between agencies, which reduces the ability to share data. Also - there is incorrect address information in many databases today, and agencies may have discrepancies between street addresses and their associated lat/longs.

GeoSpatial One-Stop Initiative

We need:

  • Uniform map base/framework feature IDs
  • Standards/Consistent Geocoding
  • Cost sharing
  • Census/MAF-based office?
  • A national geocoding office
  • To support TIGER modernization
  • For Federal Agencies to evolve together
  • Taxpayers to only pay once

In the interim, agencies could cost-share for their higher accuracy needs. Jon hopes to move towards on-line distributed access for all agencies, and a license for geocoded data that allows multiple users.

Action: Please send Jon Sperling (jon_sperling@hud.gov) an inventory of your agency's geocoding activities and methods.

Action: Please review Jon Sperling's Geocoding Proposal and send your comments to Alison (akiernan@fgdc.gov). The comments will be discussed at the October 1 Coordination Group meeting.

XML Web Services: Support for the Geospatial Information One Stop - Brand Niemann, EPA

[ PowerPoint 3.6 MB ]

Brand is working with a team to investigate emerging XML web services in order to make recommendations to OMB regarding agency enterprise architecture documents.

The interagency team has mapped phone numbers and area codes to lat/longs for emergency response. They hope to publish a description of the XLM Web Services in a directory for people to use. Others have already done this for Federal Spatial Statistics and the EPA Geospatial Data Index.

For emergency response, there would be multi-channel dissemination of XLM Services though either the computer or through a phone. Both queries would be routed through the Internet and then to the appropriate web server. The voiceXML (phone) method could be used to verify EPA facility location data for emergency notification. This could also be used with Landview 6 and the EPA Situation Room. Information could be delivered on the web, through XML service, or by batch process (ftp).

Action: Please contact Brand Niemann (202-566-1657, niemann.brand@epa.gov) if you would like to work on an interagency group focusing on emerging technologies and E-Gov initiatives.

Digital Mapping Server (DMS) Implementation for National Guard Counterdrug Programs - Major Michael Thomas, National Guard Counterdrug Office; Dr. Melinda Higgins, GA Tech Research Institute; and Kevin Shaw, Naval Research Lab - Stennis Space Center

[ PowerPoint 4.4 MB ]

The Digital Mapping Server (DMS) plugs into existing databases to download data and build data layers on the fly. The DMS uses both Government Off The Shelf (GOTS) software and Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) software.

The GOTS side of the Geospatial Information Database (GIDB) has a user interface leading to a portal at National Guard that directs to the appropriate data servers. There are security keys to access protected and sensitive information.

On the COTS side, there are working links to ArcIMS (including the Geography Network) for mapping applications. It is possible to click on a county and save data or merge historical data into the GIDB.

There is an address lookup application that returns with geocoding results with 10-meter accuracy. This is currently used for counterdrug operations.

Future Upgrades include:

  • Metadata
  • Web Feature Server handling
  • Develop an ArcMap interface
  • Expand servers connected to Portal
  • Add built-in digital mapping center to provide product generation with one click production

The DMS is still in development and the initial version will be deployed Fall 2002. The application will soon include weather modeling.

Action: If you would like to test the application, please contact Major Michael Thomas at (404-894-0621; thomasm@cdmail.ngb.army.mil ).

Action: Melinda Higgins, Major Thomas, and Kevin Shaw will assess how much of the data included in the GIDB are documented, FGDC and OGC compliant, and are available at the FGDC Clearinghouse.

Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata: Extensions for Remote Sensing Metadata - Barry Schlesinger, NASA/GMU

This standard will be the basis of a technical amendment to ISO 19115, Geographic information - Metadata. The Standard covers algorithm and processing; georeferencing; platform information; and sensor information. A development team reviewed the Standard and announced the review in the Federal Register, on the FGDC website, and by email to many user groups. The editing committee reviewed the 12 comments received and revised the document accordingly. The Standards Work Group approved the final document.

Action: The FGDC Coordination Group recommends that the Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata: Extensions for Remote Sensing Metadata be forwarded to the Steering Committee for approval.

FY 02 Annual Spatial Data Report - Alison Kiernan, FGDC

The Annual Report questions for fiscal year 2002 have been distributed to the Coordination Group members and should be completed and returned to Alison (akiernan@fgdc.gov) no later than October 18. Please review Appendix E of the revised OMB Circular A-16 to review the spatial data themes your Department and/or agency is now responsible for, and to ensure that your agency completes Part B of the Annual Report for these themes. Please also ensure that the FGDC subcommittees and working groups chaired by your Department and/or agency complete Part B of the Annual Report. The completed questions will then be consolidated by Alison and submitted to OMB for review. These questions were put together by a group of FGDC Coordination Group members, with input from OMB.

Action: Please return your completed Department, Agency, Subcommittee or Working Group FY 02 Annual Spatial Data Reports to Alison (akiernan@fgdc.gov) by Oct. 18.

Upcoming Steering Committee Meeting - Alison Kiernan, FGDC

The October 9 FGDC Steering Committee meeting will be held from 10:30 am - 12:30 pm at the American Institute of Architects Boardroom, 1735 New York Ave, NW, Washington, DC. The topics will include homeland security, Geospatial One Stop, and the future direction of the FGDC. This is an open meeting - all participants are welcome. The final agenda will be sent within the next week. Please RSVP to Alison (akiernan@fgdc.gov) by October 3, 2002.

Action: Please RSVP to Alison (akiernan@fgdc.gov) by October 3 if you will be attending the FGDC Steering Committee meeting.

Next Coordination Group meeting:

October 1, 2002
Hosted by USGS
(An agenda will be forwarded in mid September)

Last Updated: Jan 10, 2006 02:30 PM
Spinner Image