Personal tools
Document Actions

November 5, 2002 FGDC Coordination Meeting Summary


Action items.

Action 1: OMB will work with agency examiners to add a Geo 1 Stop section to agency Greenbooks.

Action 2: At the next Geo 1 Stop POC meeting Myra will address how to break out budget items that are related to Geo 1 Stop but also may be part of your agency mission.

Action 3: If your agency has specific dollars to be focused on the Portal, please contact Myra (mbambac@pop700.nasa.gsfc.gov) or Jeff de La Beaujardiere (jeff2002@sunrise.gsfc.nasa.gov).

Action 4: At the next POC meeting, the Theme Leads will give a status report on their progress.

Action 5: If you would like a free copy of the Remapping Ground Zero video in DVD or videotape format, please contact Ron Matzner (rmatzner@fgdc.gov).

Action 6: Jason will list what OMB is looking for in the impartial Board of Experts, and the FGDC will then determine a proposal to fulfill these needs.

Action 7: By November 30, please send Alison Kiernan (akiernan@fgdc.gov) the names of people who wish to be team members involved in the FGDC Future Directions strategic planning effort.

Action 8: Bruce will provide the Coordination Group with the answers he received from FGDC staff regarding FGDC future directions.

Action 9: Please send Alison (akiernan@fgdc.gov) suggestions for agenda items for the December and January Coordination Group meetings.


Hosts: Betsy Banas & Mark Flood, USFS

Attendees:

Ivan DeLoatch, FGDC
Alison Kiernan, FGDC
George Saxton, NOAA
Hedy Rossmeissl, USGS
Richard Pearsall, USGS
John Clark, GSA
David Morehouse, DOE
Shel Sutton, MITRE/NIMA
Robert Seebald, NIMA
Doug Nebert, FGDC
Paul Cutler, NRC
Paul Rooney, FEMA
Lesley Ogrosky, FGDC
Bob Bank, USACE
David Painter, FGDC
Billy Tolar, USGS/National Atlas
Rick Yorczyk, NOAA/NGS
Leslie Wollack, GOS
Robert West, OHS
Bruce McKenzie, FGDC
Mark Bradford, BTS/USDOT
Michelle Torreano, EPA
Sherry Konigsberg, BLS
K. Thirumalai, USDOT
Myra Bambacus, NASA
Mark Reichardt, OGC
Jason Freihage, OMB
Rob Dollison, Orkand/GOS
Ronald Matzner, FGDC/CEG
Jason Racette, BLM
Jeff Booth, FEMA/Baker
Kathy Covert, FGDC
Christine Clarke, NRCS/USDA
Dennis Lytle, USDA
Susan Hargrove, DOE
Jeff de La Beaujardiere, NASA
Lou Kerestesy, GOS/Marasco Newton
Milo Robinson, FGDC
Alan Voss, TVA
Anne Hale Miglarese, NOAA/CSC

Welcome and Introductions -

Vaughn Stokes, USFS Director of Engineering, welcomed the Coordination Group to the USFS facility. He stated that there are 300,000 square miles of forest area and that the USFS employees working in the field require geospatial information. Forest fires have a tremendous impact on their work. Among other products, the USFS produces post-fire maps detailing the areas in need of rehabilitation.

Steering Committee Follow-Up - Ivan DeLoatch, Acting FGDC Staff Director

The October 9 FGDC Steering Committee meeting had a great turnout, with approximately 100 attendees. It is obvious that there is great interest in the FGDC and Homeland Security issues.

Steering Committee Action Item Follow-Up:

  • The Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata: Extensions for Remote Sensing Metadata was approved by the Steering Committee, the letter of approval was signed by the Steering Committee chair and vice chair, and the extension is now in the process of being implemented.
  • Steve Cooper, Special Assistant to the President and CIO Office of Homeland Security, asked that the Framework Standards be completed by September 30, 2003, accelerating the schedule by 2 months. He gave an energetic presentation detailing the Office of Homeland Security's spatial data needs.
  • To help ensure that your budget office understands your geospatial efforts, please have your current data holdings and planned acquisitions up on the website by the February 03 deadline. This will help address your information needs.
  • The OMB is requesting that an impartial Board of Experts be created to review geospatial investments and provide a recommendation to OMB. The key effort of this board will be to help us coordinate our efforts.
  • Tom Weimer, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Water and Science, will serve as the Executive Lead for the FGDC Future Directions team, on behalf of the Steering Committee Chair. This project will have a six to nine month timeline.

OMB perspective regarding Steering Committee Action 3:
OMB wants to see how agency activities fit together to fulfill the goals of Geo 1 Stop, to help develop a common dialogue. OMB wants each agency to detail what actions they are specifically taking towards the goals of the Geo 1 Stop. Example: staff members provided, staff time, money for the Geo 1 Stop pilot testbed, FTEs to Project Management Staff or Portal Development Team.

Action 1: OMB will work with agency examiners to add a Geo 1 Stop section to agency Greenbooks.

Geospatial One-Stop - Myra Bambacus, Acting Geo 1 Stop Executive Director (NASA)

[ PowerPoint 266 KB ]

Action 2: At the next Geo 1 Stop POC meeting Myra will address how to break out budget items that are related to Geo 1 Stop but also may be part of your agency mission.

Myra's goals as Acting Executive Director were to create a Geo 1 Stop Project Management Team, put a Project Plan in place, and to kick start the Portal. We are making excellent progress and Myra appreciates everyone's effort.

Within the next few weeks you will receive the Geo 1 Stop project plans and outreach plan for your review and comment. The project plan will be available on the Geo 1 Stop website.

The A-300 must be redrafted and submitted to OMB by the middle of December.

Action 3: If your agency has specific dollars to be focused on the Portal, please contact Myra (mbambac@pop700.nasa.gsfc.gov) or Jeff de La Beaujardiere (jeff2002@sunrise.gsfc.nasa.gov).

The Call for Additional Requirements went out on November 4 to state, local, tribal and federal groups.

Next Step: Develop at RFQ to be issued by OGC.

Major Milestones:

  • RFQ release December 6
  • Initiative kickoff February 2003
  • Portal Demonstration late May 2003

    Action 4: At the next POC meeting, the Theme Leads will give a status report on their progress.

Remapping Ground Zero Video - Ron Matzner, CEG/FGDC

A documentary about the role of the geospatial community in NYC's rescue and recovery efforts was shown. Available at: http://www.excelgov.org/displaycontent.asp?keyword=prePrevious&NewsItemID=2477

Action 5: If you would like a free copy of the Remapping Ground Zero video in DVD or videotape format, please contact Ron Matzner (rmatzner@fgdc.gov).

OMB Request for Impartial Board - Jason Freihage, OMB

OMB needs information to make decisions, including what agency actions are contributing to the NSDI and larger national goals. OMB does not have the technical expertise to review new proposals and existing programs to determine their long-term goals to see if we are getting what we need as a nation. They need to improve the level of debate.

Questions that need to be addressed by a board:

  • Do existing programs use standards?
  • Are existing programs interoperable?
  • Are the data standards relevant to larger society?
  • Do the data standards need to be updated?
  • Are we maximizing our investments in the geospatial arena?
  • What is the value of GIS? What do we do with what we have?
  • What plan will develop the themes and activities listed in A-16?

Although information is provided in the FGDC Annual Reports, it is hard for OMB to determine how agency efforts add up to the common goal. The FGDC Coordination Group members could make up the impartial Board of Experts, similar to an Engineering Review Board. The board will need high-level direction and strategic thinkers. FGDC ought to be advising the Federal Government on what should be done at the geospatial level.

What is the mechanism to develop this board? Policy makers that understand engineering, budgeting, standards, and how the A-300 is put together are needed.

Action 6: Jason will list what OMB is looking for in the impartial Board of Experts, and the FGDC will then determine a proposal to fulfill these needs.

FGDC Future Directions - Ivan DeLoatch, FGDC

Steven Griles has asked that from January through July 2003 a planning team examine future directions that should be undertaken by the FGDC. The team will take a 'strategic planning' look at the NSDI and FGDC and how it serves business needs. It will be headed by Tom Weimer as Executive Lead and Ivan DeLoatch as Chair. Anne Hale Miglarese and Chris Clarke have volunteered to be part of the team. Bruce McKenzie and Kathy Covert will also be contributing to the effort. CEG will help guide the process and provide speakers to add to the discussion.

Comments:
It will be important to include non-Federal constituents when determining the future of the NSDI.

We could have NSF and the academic communities examine what is missing from the NSDI. Bring in industry too.

We should look at past studies and build on work already done.

Investments should be addressed.

Action 7: By November 30, please send Alison Kiernan (akiernan@fgdc.gov) the names of people who wish to be team members involved in the FGDC Future Directions strategic planning effort.

Bruce McKenzie provided an excellent report on the history of the NSDI and FGDC at the Steering Committee meeting. In preparation for this briefing, Bruce also polled the FGDC staff on key questions for future directions of the FGDC and compiled the answers.

Action 8: Bruce will provide the Coordination Group with the answers he received from FGDC staff regarding FGDC future directions.

Action 9: Please send Alison (akiernan@fgdc.gov) suggestions for agenda items for the December and January Coordination Group meetings.

Next Coordination Group meeting:

December 3, 2002
Hosted by EPA
Room 1117 of the EPA East building at 1201 Constitution Ave.

(An agenda and directions to the meeting will be forwarded in mid November)

Last Updated: Jan 10, 2006 01:31 PM
Spinner Image