Personal tools
Document Actions

May 7, 2002 FGDC Coordination Meeting Summary


Action items.

Action: The Tribal Working Group Charter was approved.

Action: Please review the attached Civil Imagery and Remote Sensing Report and return your comments to your agency CIRS Task Force representative by May 28 (their addresses are included below).

Action: Please review the attached Homeland Security Working Group Charter. If you do not concur, please send your dissenting vote and the reason why to akiernan@fgdc.gov by May 22. Please also send editorial comments to Alison.

Action: The facilitators will meet with the agency theme leads, OMB representatives, and stakeholders on May 23 for the afternoon. (Location and agenda to follow)

Action: Agency principle contacts will meet in the morning of May 23 to go over the Forman memo and other Geospatial One Stop topics. (Location and agenda to follow)

Action: John Moeller will send out a general announcement that we are launching the process after the ANSI/INCITS vote on 5/11 to approve the process. Overview information and information on how to sign up to participate will be on the FGDC website.

Action: Each theme lead will send a call for participation requirements, and existing models.

Action: All agencies are to have their existing framework data holdings documented according to metadata standard and the metadata in a NSDI Clearinghouse node by the end of July.

Action: The documentation of data collection plans is due by the end of September. Additional guidance will be developed.

Host: Jason Racette, BLM

John Moeller, FGDC
Alison Kiernan, FGDC
Scott McAfee, FEMA
Ronald Matzner, FGDC
Julie Binder Maitra, FGDC
Carol Brandt, USDOT/BTS
Myra Bambacus, NASA
Nancy Blyler, USACE
Charles Roswell, NIMA
April Avnayim, Census
Frederick R. Broome, Census
Tom Usselman, STIA
Rick Pearsall, USGS
Jeff Booth, FEMA/Baker
Donald Buhler, BLM
Bob Ader, BLM
Bob Johnson, Premier Data Services
Phil Thiel, Dewberry
Bob Rugg, UCGIS
Daniel Bentz, USGS
Shel Sutton, NIMA/MITRE
Michael Domaratz, USGS
John Clark, GSA
David Morehouse, DOE
Chris Clarke, NRCS/USDA
MaryAnn Andersen, DISA/IN52
Chuck Croner, CDC/NCHS
Christopher Tucker, Ionic Enterprise
Bonnie Gallahan, FGDC
Richard F. Moore, BIA
Ed Liu, EPA/AIEO
Jeff Besougloff, EPA/AIEO
Greg Gwaltney, EPA/OEI
Michelle Torreano, EPA
Betsy Banas, USFS
Leslie Wollack, NSGIC
Tony Frater, OMB
Ivan DeLoatch, EPA
Maureen Findorff, Marasco Newton Group
Jim Whittaker, Marasco Newton Group
Lou Kerestesy, Marasco Newton Group
Mark Reichardt, OGC
Susan Hargrove, DOE

Civil Imagery and Remote Sensing Report - Greg Snyder, USGS

[ PDF 164 KB ] [ MS Word 232 KB }

The FGDC Civil Imagery and Remote Sensing (CIRS) Task Force just completed a report on the value of civil imagery and remote sensing that will go to OMB. The two goals of the report are to establish a value proposition for all civil imagery and to recommend a more effective approach to distributing the imagery. The report is attached to the minutes and your comments are welcome during the three-week review period, ending on May 28.

Action: Please review the attached Civil Imagery and Remote Sensing Report and return your comments to your agency CIRS Task Force representative by May 28. The email addresses of the representatives follow:

Acmegber@us-state.osis.gov , Anne.Miglarese@noaa.gov, beckeram@nv.doe.gov , BenedictJ@nima.mil , Blake-Coleman.Wendy@epamail.epa.gov , cdull@fs.fed.us , doorn@fas.usda.gov , Ed_Harne@blm.gov , glenn_bethel@wdc.usda.gov , gregory.c.hughes@faa.gov , guberal@nv.doe.gov , helen.wood@noaa.gov , joseph.a.jackson@faa.gov , K.Thirumalai@RSPA.dot.gov , Linda.Moodie@noaa.gov , mhill@hq.nasa.gov , msantoro@tec.army.mil , nancy.j.blyler@usace.army.mil , paul.rooney@fema.gov , pcutler@nas.edu , gsnyder@usgs.gov , Richard.Barazotto@noaa.gov, richard.s.jerdan@faa.gov , Scott.McAfee@fema.gov , vandergriff@fas.usda.gov , wbelton@fs.fed.us , lfriedl@hq.nasa.gov

Cadastral Update - Bob Ader, BLM and Bob Johnson, Premier Data Services

The goal of the Cadastral Subcommittee of the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) is to improve the availability and quality of cadastral information. Cadastral information is a record of decisions made in the use of land. Cadastral infrastructure helps maintain livable communities because it facilitates decision-making on issues regarding growth and open space. Cadastral information can be used to show people the effects of their land use decisions before they happen.

The guiding principles are: collectively provide data to support most information requests, integrate data to eliminate redundant data sets, and to have the data collection work flow based. Partnerships are integral to this work. Information is used from many sources and updates come from the field by way of the GPS survey crews. Incorrect data can lead to lawsuits.

EPA Tribal Charter - Ed Liu, EPA

At a Coordination Group meeting last fall it was determined that it would be valuable to crate a Tribal Working Group to allow members from different agencies to partner. The working group would be co-chaired by Ed Liu, EPA and Richard Moore, BIA. The group would invite members from different tribes to participate. The group will focus on many issues and will coordinate policies on stewardship of data.

Any agency that interacts with tribal governments should participate. The meetings will take place in the Washington, D.C. area.

The Coordination Group voted to approve the Tribal Working Group charter, with a few minor changes.

Action: The Tribal Working Group Charter was approved.

Open GIS Consortium (OGC) Overview - Mark Reichardt, OGC

PowerPoint 428 KB

Mark gave an overview of OGC interface specification status. Interoperability specifications are critical to the integration of data standards and interoperability.

Current OGC Specifications: OpenGIS Simple Features Specification for OLE/COM, OpenGIS Simple Features Specification for CORBA, OpenGIS Simple Features Specification for SQL, OpenGIS Catalog Interface Implementation Specification, OpenGIS Grid Coverages Implementation Specification, OpenGIS Coordinate Transformation Services Implementation Specification, OpenGIS Web Map Server Interfaces Implementation Specification, OpenGIS Geography Markup Language (GML) Implementation Specification. The specifications are downloadable from the OGC website at: http://www.opengis.org/techno/implementation.htm.

Geospatial Positioning Accuracy Standard, Part 5 - Julie Binder Maitra, FGDC

The vote for approval of the standard could not take place due to last minute suggestions for technical changes. The Standards Working Group will resolve the technical issue and then the standard will be resubmitted to the Coordination Group for review and a vote.

Homeland Security Working Group Charter - Mike Domaratz, USGS

[ MS Word 50 KB ] [ PDF 24 KB ]

An ad hoc FGDC Homeland Security Working Group has been meeting since October 2001 to discuss geospatial issues related to homeland security. After review by the working group members, the draft charter for the working group was presented to the Coordination Group for review for endorsement. It was decided that only dissenting votes (include the reason why) should be sent to Alison Kiernan at (akiernan@fgdc.gov). Editorial comments should be sent to Alison as well. No response will indicate concurrence.

Action: Please review the attached Homeland Security Working Group Charter if you do not concur, please send your dissenting vote and the reason why to akiernan@fgdc.gov by May 22. Please also send editorial comments to Alison.

Geospatial One Stop - John Moeller, FGDC

FGDC awarded a facilitation services contract to Marasco Newton Group to provide facilitators and recorders to the Geospatial One Stop activities. The modeler contract has not yet been finalized. Maureen Findorff, Lou Kerestesey, Jim Whittaker, and Patrick Tallarico will facilitate the 7 themes.

The core data standards process will follow both ANSI and FGDC standards development procedures. There will be a modeling component and the draft standards include definitions of their terms.

Action: The facilitators will meet with the agency theme leads, OMB representatives, and stakeholders on May 23 for the afternoon. (location and agenda to follow)

Action: John Moeller will send out a general announcement that we are launching the process after the ANSI/INCITS vote on 5/11 to approve the process. Overview information and information on how to sign up to participate will be on the FGDC website.

Action: Each theme lead will send a call for participation, requirements, and existing models.

Action: All agencies are to have their existing framework data holdings documented according to metadata standard and the metadata in a NSDI Clearinghouse node by the end of July.

Action: The documentation of data collection plans is due by the end of September. Additional guidance will be developed.

Mark Forman sent out a memo announcing that agency CIO's met last week and decided they want a bigger role in the E-Gov initiatives. The CIO's will create a resource allocation strategy by the end of May and will likely use the Geospatial One Stop strategy as a guide.

Action: Agency principle contacts will meet in the morning of May 23 to go over the Forman memo.

The E-Gov initiative work plans are due to OMB by 5/17.

Money has been transferred to FGDC for the Geospatial One Stop by NIMA. USDOT is transferring money to OGC. All of the money transfers from the other agencies are still in the works. State and local travel support and a full time project person are still needed.

The Best Practices Team has completed the white paper and report. OMB accepted these documents last week and a direct link is available on the CIO website: http://www.cio.gov/

White Paper [ MS Word 133 KB ] [ PDF 53 KB ]

Next Coordination Group Meeting

Date: June 4, 2002
Time: 9 a.m. - noon
Hosted by OMB
Site: Eisenhower Room of the White House Conference Center

Agenda will be forwarded in late May.
Please submit agenda suggestions to Alison Kiernan (akiernan@fgdc.gov)

Last Updated: Jan 10, 2006 02:28 PM
Spinner Image