FGDC Subcommittee Report Summary
Out of 11 Subcommittee responses:
- PARTNERSHIPS - 100% had collaborative partnerships regarding their theme.
- METADATA - 82% had metadata discoverable through the NSDI Clearinghouse
- STANDARDS - 82% had standards for their working group theme
- CHARTER - 82% had a current charter or plan for data collection
- ACTIVITY - 64% were active in FY 2000/2001
- INTERNATIONAL PARTICIPATION - 64% had international/global coordination
- DATA SHARING - 55% had a policy in place for full and open access or data sharing
Areas of Concern included:
- There is a need for a common vision for the NSDI.
- Local level support is needed.
- Common goals for standards compliance and definitions of compliance are needed.
- The absence of resources focused on geospatial issues may limit progress.
- Base funding for spatial climate development within the Federal government is a significant issue.
- Is there an existing mechanism to ensure compatibility among standards promulgated by other FGDC entities relative to vegetation?
- Cadastral Subcommittee recognized the need and created definitions for different levels of compliance with the Standard.
- The use of a Subcommittee is preferable to having one agency lead the development of guidelines.
- Guidelines drafted by a multi-agency group are more likely to be useful and widely used.