Historical Data Working Group 1997 Report of Accomplishments
|Status of 1997 Tasks: |
1. Maintain and expand the Working Group Homepage (Supports NSDI Goals 1, 2, 3, and 4.)
Status: The working group, using technical support from the FGDC Executive Secretariat, established and maintains an extension of the FGDC homepage for the Working Group. Minutes of meetings and work plans have been posted and updated. Expanded uses of the homepage, planned for 1997, were deferred into 1998.
2. Produce a focused study on the costs of maintaining geospatial data with assistance and information from various FGDC member agencies and other Federal geospatial data creators and managers. (Supports NSDI Goal 3)
Status: The working group began this effort in 1997. It has been more difficult than anticipated to obtain cost information from geospatial data creators. This activity will be continued into 1998.
3. Coordinate with other FGDC subcommittees and working groups by providing comments, guidance, or assistance when requested or appropriate (Supports NSDI Goals 1, 2, 3, 4)
Status: Ongoing. Two working group members also serve on, or chair, other subcommittees. The Working Group did not receive any direct requests for information or coordination in 1997.
4. Monitor NARA's current and planned records management evaluations which relate to geospatial data and promote those aspects which enhance the goals of FGDC. (Supports NSDI Goals 2, 3, 4)
Status: Ongoing. Two working group members participated on the NARA records management evaluation of USGS and briefed the Working Group during 1997.
1. The Working Group Chair prepared the highlight article, "Overview of Archival Practices and Issues," for the October 1997 special issue of Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing devoted to Geographic Information Science and Archiving. (Supports NSDI Goal 1, 2, 4) 2. The 1995 modifications to 36 Code of Federal Regulations Part 1228 requiring, where applicable, that geospatial data transferred to NARA should comply with the Spatial Data Transfer Standard and include metadata compliant with the FGDC Content Standards for Metadata, finally cleared OMB review in September 1997. They became part of 36 CFR 1228 in November 1997. (Supports NSDI Goals 1, 2, 3)
Historical Data Working Group