FGDC Virtual Forum December 9, 2009
|When||Dec 09, 2009
from 01:00 PM to 02:00 PM
|Contact Name||Arista Salimi Maher|
|Attendees||Federal Government Geospatial Executives
|Add event to calendar|| vCal
The first in a series of planned virtual forums, the Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) is sponsoring a Virtual Forum on December 9, 2009 in order to bring together federal government geospatial executives to engage in discussion about the development of a national place-based policy that addresses economic competitiveness, environmental sustainability, community health access, and safety and security. The August 11, 2009 White House memorandum to department and agency heads -- entitled "Developing Effective Place-Based Policies for the FY 2011 Budget" -- emphasizes the need to leverage place-based policies for better policy planning in a variety of issue areas.
The topic for discussion for the initial FGDC Forum will be the Whitehouse memorandum and the geospatial community's role in helping shape the future of place-based policies. This Forum is intended for federal government geospatial executives only; future Forums will be targeted to other stakeholder groups with interests in policy issues. The event is hosted on-line, lasting one hour, and includes a brief introductory presentation followed by a facilitated discussion between panelists and participants. We hope that you will join us in this exciting endeavor to discuss how best the federal geospatial community can contribute to enabling "locally-driven, integrated, and place-conscious solutions guided by meaningful measures."*
* Orszag, Peter; Barnes, Melody; Carrion, Adolfo; and Summers, Lawrence. M-09-28: "Developing Effective Place-Based Policies for the FY 2011 Budget." White House Memorandum for the Heads of Executive Departments and Agencies. August 11, 2009. http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/assets/memoranda_fy2009/m09-28.pdf
- Karen Siderelis, Department of Interior
- William LeFurgy, Library of Congress
- Jerry Johnston, US Environmental Protection Agency
- Ivan B. DeLoatch, US Geological Survey
- Stephen Lowe, US Department of Agriculture
Purpose of the Forums
Utilize principles of social networking and technology tools to:
- Conduct a series of four forums: first, with federal government geospatial program executives; second, with state, local, and tribal representatives; third, with the general public communities of interest and academic constituencies; and fourth, with industry, non-profits and lobbying stakeholders.
- Engage in discussion about the developing a National implementation place-based policy which addresses economic competiveness, environmental sustainability, community health access and security.
- Build awareness of and create access to existing federal government geospatial assets.
- Obtain broad-based input into a National geospatial policy defining the value of “place-based” government product and services.
- Develop a sustainable space for future interactions concerning the effectiveness of place-based policies and the ongoing maturity of government geospatial solutions.
- Refresh, communicate, and demonstrate FGDC brand as relevant, demonstrating national geospatial thought leadership.
Join FGDC on GovLoop for blog posts, discussions and up-to-date information.