Geospatial Line of Business
The Geospatial Line of Business (Geo LoB) aims to further refine the opportunities for optimizing and consolidating Federal geospatial-related investments to reduce the cost of government and, at the same time, improve services to citizens. Cross-agency coordination of geospatial activities can identify, consolidate, and reduce or eliminate redundant geospatial investments. Developing the Geo LoB will result in a more coordinated approach to producing, maintaining, and using geospatial data, and will ensure sustainable participation from Federal partners to establish a collaborative model for geospatial-related activities and investments.
The Nation’s interests are served, and the core missions of Federal agencies and their partners are met, through the effective and efficient development, provision and interoperability of geospatial data and services.
Goals and Objectives
Goal 1: Productive intergovernmental collaboration for geospatial-related activities and investments across all sectors and levels of government
- Objective 1.1: To improve governance processes and results in alignment with common geospatial solutions
- Objective 1.2: To identify, evaluate and implement common geospatial services, processes and best practices
- Objective 1.3: To enhance coordination among geospatial community stakeholders
Goal 2: Optimized and standardized common geospatial functions, services, and processes which are responsive to customers
- Objective 2.1: To implement guidance provided through the FEA Geospatial Profile
- Objective 2.2: To adopt, deploy and promote effective use of geospatial interoperability standards
- Objective 2.3: To establish a Geo LoB-wide business architecture for common functions associated with geospatial information
Goal 3: Cost efficient acquisition, processing, and access to geospatial data and information.
- Objective 3.1: To coordinate geospatial requirements and capabilities
- Objective 3.2: To identify opportunities and consolidate geospatial acquisition activities
- Objective 3.3: To enhance Geo LoB-wide portfolio management
- Objective 3.4: To develop and implement geospatial requirements language for Federal grants and contracts
Geospatial Line of Business Deliverables/Accomplishments
Key Geo LoB Deliverables and Accomplishments (in alphabetical order):
- Common Solution/Target Architecture (pdf, 1.5mb)
- Geospatial LoB Strategic Plan (pdf, 884kb)
- Geospatial LoB Program Management Plan (pdf, 1.5mb)
- Geospatial Profile Version 2.0, Draft 5.7 (March 6, 2009) (doc, 12mb)
- Segment Architecture Analysis of the Geospatial Platform (doc, 7.6mb)
- Geospatial SmartBUY Press Release (pdf, 37kb)
- Geospatial Software SmartBUY Factsheet (pdf, 112kb)
- National Geospatial Data Asset (NGDA) Datasets, Themes and Theme Lead List (xls, 75kb)
- OMB Circular A-16 and Supplemental Guidance
- PMO Concepts of Operations (pdf, 550kb)
A full list of Geo LoB deliverables and accomplishments is available in the Resource Center.
Learn more about the Geospatial Line of Business Work Groups.