Minnesota Structures Collaborative – An Initiative to Support the National Map and NSDI
Award Number 08HQAG0062, Category 5: Building data stewardship for The National Map and the NSDI
The Minnesota Structures Collaborative CAP initiative was designed to support The National Map, National Spatial Data Infrastructure, and emergency response programs. It includes the development of state and local government partnerships and the technical capacity to support the collection, publication, and long term sustainable maintenance of four critical structures GIS layers: schools, hospitals, police and fire stations.
The project team consisted of staff from the Minnesota Geospatial Information Office (MnGeo) and volunteers from the Minnesota Governor’s Council on Geographic Information’s Emergency Preparedness Committee (EPC). Members worked to gather available structures data and develop the technical capacity to support the statewide aggregation, editing, and publication of the four structures layers.
• Assessment and standardization of existing structures data (national and state), including attribution, with capacity to add new data and integrate with The National Map.
• Development of a MnGeo Structures Collaborative prototype web-based map interface that includes editing and geospatial data entry tools.
• Creation of FGDC and MN State compliant metadata records.
• Creation of a statewide geospatial map library of structures based on a 10K USNG grid.
• Establishment of strategic relationships with state and local data contributors and stewards.
Project activity will continue after the grant period to test and update the MnGeo Structures Collaborative application, formally establish data authorities and custodians, identify and build operational processes between federal, state and local government, and promote integration of structures data that will support The National Map.
John Hoshal, LMIC GIS Services Supervisor